Re: Cua-mode binding of S-return

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Cua-mode binding of S-return
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 12:12:03 -0400

    As James explains, this is a general problem, i.e. not limited to nxml-mode.

    As such, it should be solved generally, rather than hotch-potch fixes in
    individual packages.

That is right.  When specific modes try to solve perceived problems in
general Emacs conventions by departing from them, the overall result
is to make things worse.  Every general convention, those we use and
the alternatives we might have used, is a trade-off, so there will be
plenty situations where these conventions are inconvenient for
someone.  But when modes don't follow them, that creates worse
problems.