Re: define-derived-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: define-derived-mode
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 04:57:47 -0400

    > However, I am not sure we want defcustoms for *any* mode hooks.  How
    > often would a user want to customize one with defcustom?

      C:\...\lisp> grep -E "defcustom.*-mode-hook" *.el
      add-log.el:(defcustom change-log-mode-hook nil
      autorevert.el:(defcustom auto-revert-mode-hook nil

So what?  The question is whether these are useful,
not whether they exist.

We have just been reminded of the reasons why customizing
these hooks is likely not to work right--in addition to the
fact that the motive to do so is probably rare.

We wrote those defcustoms because a feeling developed
that it was the right thing to use defcustom for every
variable that someone might perhaps want to customize.
But that doesn't mean we have to stick with them.