Re: Problems fontifying an autoreverting Buffer Menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Problems fontifying an autoreverting Buffer Menu
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 00:46:11 -0400

    Buffer Menu, which I described earlier, is caused by a change made
    today, namely making Buffer-menu-buffer-face the value of the
    font-lock-face property rather than the face property.  Reverting that
    change makes the problem completely go away.  But I presume that there
    must have been some good reason for the change.

The idea was that this would cause highlighting to occur
only when Font-Lock mode is enabled.  That is the new convention:
modes that compute highlighting in a special way do so
by setting the font-lock-face property, and then Font-Lock mode operates
by causing the font-lock-face property to be displayed.

Is any other change needed to make this work right?
The node Precalculated Fontification seems to say no,
but maybe it is inaccurate.

      The change is however
    not mentioned in the ChangeLog:

Sorry, I was in a hurry checking them in, and I didn't notice there
was a second change in the file as well.  I will fix that.