Customization group aliases

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Customization group aliases
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:34:53 -0700

I'm now getting the following warning when compiling MH-E:

  mh-customize.el:111:1:Warning: defgroup for `mh-e' fails to specify
      containing group

Here's the code:

  (defgroup mh nil
    "Emacs interface to the MH mail system.
  MH is the Rand Mail Handler. Other implementations include nmh and GNU
  mailutils."
    :link '(custom-manual "(mh-e)Top")
    :group 'mail)

  (defgroup mh-e '((mh custom-group))     ; Sort of an alias for 'mh group
    "Emacs interface to the MH mail system.
  MH is the Rand Mail Handler. Other implementations include nmh and GNU
  mailutils."
    :link '(custom-manual "(mh-e)Top"))

The mh-e group only exists to point a user in the right direction if
the user happens to explicitly run "M-x customize-group mh-e RET"
which is a reasonable expectation given the name of the package ;-).
As such, I do not want this group to appear in any group. Is there a
way around this?

I also forget why we named the main group "mh" and not "mh-e". I'm
thinking of simply dropping the second group and just having a single
"mh-e" group which is a reasonable expectation given the name of the
package ;-). If no one can remember the good reason why we did this or
can think of a good reason why we do this, I'll make it so.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD