Re: frame sans decoration

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: frame sans decoration
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:27:25 +0200

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

> I know well that we are in feature-freeze stage.
> However, I think the feature provided by following patch is too
> good to be dropped from the next release.

Disagree.

> As subject says, you can control(show or hide) window decorations
> attached to frames by a window manager on X11 window system.
> (Currently my patch only support emacs built with gtk+.)
>
> As you can see, the patch is very short. Actually I have not taken
> much time for this patch. However, I think the impact of this patch
> is not small.
>
> With this patch, you can use a frame as a tooltip window.
> Advantages over the conventional tooltip window are:
> (1) you can handle input to a tooltip window with elisp code,

A tooltip is exactly there for the purpose of _not_ interfering with
input.  And it is actually close to impossible to move the mouse
cursor _onto_ a tooltip.

> (2) you can use text with faces and pixmap images, and

You can do that already.

> (3) you can contorol the text with faces and pixmap images with
> elisp code.

You can do that already.

> (4) scrollbar

Since it is not possible to move the mouse cursor onto a tooltip
window, there does not seem much purpose in doing so.