Re: [rant] Should reverting a buffer really discard undo history?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [rant] Should reverting a buffer really discard undo history?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:58:58 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

My ~/.emacs would have been saved had Emacs kept the buffer contents
in undo history when reverting the file.  I'd like to if there is any
way to enable this, and (if so) why Emacs does not do it by default.

I have locally patched my Emacs to preserve undo info during revert, so
I completely agree it's desirable.  When I suggested the change it was
rejected (it's somewhere in the archive if you're interested, tho I can't
remember the thread title and not even when it took place, I'd say about
2 years ago).

Maybe having it as a (potentially buffer-local) option is a good idea.

What do people think?
I vote for making revert undoable! It was a surprise to me that it was not.