Re: Regexps and hard newlines

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Regexps and hard newlines
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:45:22 -0400

    I think that a soft newline, most particularly so in the context of
    longlines.el, should pretty much be a space with a display property of
    newline on it, so search and replace would not even see it as anything
    but space.

That could be too drastic--I don't think that commands that
normally operate on lines should ignore soft newlines.
C-a and C-e now have special commands to implement them,
but there is also C-k, C-x C-t, and probably many more.

The change I suggested, affecting only `,' in regexps, might also be
too drastic.  That's why I am asking to see if people can think of
problems it could cause.