Re: doctor.el

From: Joshua Varner
Subject: Re: doctor.el
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:56:59 -0500

On 7/2/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Would someone like to fix doctor.el so that the variable names
> start with `doctor-'?
>
> You could do this either by renaming the references too, or by
> changing the code to add `doctor-' when it accesses a variable
> name from one of these doctor specs.  I think the latter would be
> cleaner.

I took a look at this and had a couple of questions.

There are a number a variables that are made buffer local, that are
unique to doctor.el should those be prefixed as well?

When you mention the 'doctor specs' are you referring to the below:
(defun doctor-meaning (x) (get x 'doctor-meaning))

(defmacro doctor-put-meaning (symb val)
    "Store the base meaning of a word on the property list."
    (list 'put (list 'quote symb) ''doctor-meaning val))

doctor-put is called on a bunch of global symbols, but the property is
prefixed by 'doctor-', if these are the ones you want converted would
it be better to not use properties at all, or to create a variable and
store the value of the property in it instead of in a property on the
new doctor- variable?

TIA,
Josh

P.S. I haven't signed papers, so if I do this I should probably get
that process started.