Re: "checksum failure after patch" in CVS

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: "checksum failure after patch" in CVS
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 01:08:01 +0200

On 7/4/05, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's not in binary format in the repository, we deliberately avoid
> binary format for text files, even when we need to check them in with
> DOS line ends, because we know that binary format is inconvenient.

It's a terminology issue. You're right the file is in "text" mode in
the repository, but when a file is in the repository in text mode with
CR/LF pairs, in my view it is a binary file masquerading as a text
one. I will not say the CVSNT client is right in doing CR/LF ->
CR/CR/LF, because it obviously is gaffing. But having a CR/LF file in
the repo as text file is evil, was evil, will forever be evil. IMHO,
and all standard disclaimers, etc. etc.

> I don't have any problem updating it with CVSNT 2.0.51d, it may be a bug
> in the specific version you are using.

Eli has already explained the issue, but for the record: I didn't
change my version of CVSNT for weeks, and I was routinely checking out
Emacs several times a day; otherwise a client problem would have been
the prime suspect.

It seems config.bat had LF on the repo and some recent change has
updated it with CR/LF.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u