Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:06:08 +0200

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

Well, certainly your claim that `w32-pass-lwindow-to-system' does not
work as documented is just wrong. It does. The fact that Windows
reclaims some of these bindings is another matter altogether, and yes,
perhaps it could be circumvented (not "fixed", unless you're talking
of fixing Windows) via a keyboard hook. I would recommend against it,
at this moment. This would be new, low level code, to fix a misfeature
of Windows, and there seem to be no much user request for it.
I think it is wrong. The documentation says:

  w32-pass-lwindow-to-system's value is nil

 Non-nil if the left "Windows" key is passed on to Windows.
 When non-nil, the Start menu is opened by tapping the key.

The first sentence is wrong. The second is correct.

Perhaps there is not much need because users on ms windows may find that this does not work as expected (after much work) and then decide that it does not seem as Emacs work as documented. Then they leave to other options. (A story many times told - I believe I have seen such cases.)

I tried to use <lwindow> for Meta because that would be nice. Then I could access the menu as in other w32 programs (and that is certainly a something a novice user expects). So there could be request for it, I believe.