Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:08:58 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> *** Removing the low level keyboard hook at the main thread tear down:
> UnhookWindowsHookEx(hLowKBhook);

You also need to remove the hook whenever Emacs crashes. That is more
difficult, and the reason why I would be reluctant to start playing
with Low Level hooks within Emacs.

>                     case VK_LWIN:
>                     {
>                         // the user pressed the <lwindow> key
>                       if (!NILP (Vw32_pass_lwindow_to_system))
>                         fHandled = TRUE;
>                         break;
>                     }
>                 }
>         }
>     }
>
>     return (fHandled ? TRUE : CallNextHookEx(hhook, nCode, wParam, lParam));

If my reading of the docs is correct, this will prevent Emacs from
seeing lwindow keys altogether. If you return true from a low level
keyboard hook, you must handle the key inside the hook. Since you want
to use lwindow as a modifier key, you'll then need to handle all the
keys that it modifies in the hook as well, and you'll end up doing all
your own keyboard mapping, as Eli said.