Re: rcirc.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: rcirc.el
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:18:27 +0200

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> writes:

> Some weeks ago I offered my irc client, rcirc.el, to the GNU
> Project.  Karl Berry replied to me that after discussion with some
> of the Emacs developers rcirc should be integrated with the rest of
> Emacs.
>
> What steps need to be taken to complete this process?

A copyright assignment to the Free Software Foundation is required for
stuff that is supposed to be contributed to Emacs proper.

I'll send you a request form.  Strange that the persons you discussed
this with did not do so.  After the assignment process completes (you
get sent forms which you have to read and sign and send back), posting
rcirc.el on the Emacs developer list and asking for inclusion would be
the right course.  Alternatively, if you want to maintain it yourself
and actively, you can after completion of the assignment procedure ask
for CVS write access to Emacs.  Even if you are going to maintain the
stuff in CVS yourself, you might want others to do the initial
check-in so that it lands in the proper place.