Re: Diff mode faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Diff mode faces
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:33:15 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:46:43 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >> Maybe the shadow face should be fixed instead.
>
> > Why?  It does what it's supposed to do: makes the text barely visible.
>
> Then why isn't it good for the `diff-context' face?

Well, I didn't suggest to change it in the first place, so I really am
not the man to ask.  I guess the idea is that diff context needs to be
readable after all.

> Or more specifically, why is it only good for `diff-context' on color
> terminals with more than 88 colors?

Probably because, with more than 88 colors, the shadow face is more
readable than the current color on 16- and 8-color tty's.

> It should work just fine on gray-level terminals

Yes, those should need a separate definition, if we change the current
one.

> and if the result is completely unreadable on terminals with less
> than 88 colors, thenwhy shouldn't that problem also be fixed for the
> `shadow' face?

It's not ``completely unreadable'', at least not in my opinion.