Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:07:18 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:39:44 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>

Paper size is one I remember right now. Another is the location of Ghostscript.
How about adding some code to `openp' so that, on w32 platforms, it
would look for the program/file in the Registry, in addition to the
list of directories it gets as its argument?

Where do you look? This is the first time I have ever heard of looking
for a path in the registry. You'd need to have a mapping of known
programs to where they store their registry key telling you where their
path is. There is no standard for doing this!
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\.

There you will find for example a key named firefox.exe under which you find the actual path to firefox.exe. But you are right, not all programs use this, unfortunately. So in many cases you need a more specific mean to get the path, but it is still often in the Registry.