Re: Strange change in bytecmop.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Strange change in bytecmop.el
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 03:59:27 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Naturally.  (featurep 'xemacs) means "here is an exception for the
>     sake of XEmacs".
>
>     We don't have to make exceptions for the sake of Emacs.  We are the
>     main line.
>
> That's a valid point.  At the same time, it means that our code is
> full of mentions of XEmacs.

Sure.  As long as we have code intended to run with XEmacs, calling it
anything but code intended to run with XEmacs would be obfuscate.

The only way around that would be to completely remove all such code.
This does not make sense except where code has fallen out of active
maintenance and nobody knows whether it is working, anyway.

XEmacs, after all, does meet the criteria of free software.  Forcing
the maintainers of subsystems that are willing to support XEmacs to
have different distribution paths for versions that also work with
XEmacs would be quite out of proportion in my opinion.