Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:20:49 -0400

    > How many minor modes could you take care of with just those two?

    Difficult to say without looking at each one, particularly because
    we're talking not of the "normal" minor modes, but the ones that do a
    minor-mode work in a non-conventional way: highlight-change,
    overwrite, indent-tabs...

How about if you start checking them.  That is the only way to find
out if these two variables would really improve the situation.

    You're gonna say "Then add a function to customize these two and we'll
    see whether we need to add anything more", aren't you? :) OK, I'll see
    what I can do.

Not exactly.  The first step is to see how much good this would do.
Also, the customization mechanism for the minor modes to use does not
have to be a function to call.  It may be that an alist which major
modes can add to would be cleaner.  That's entirely a matter of
details.