Re: where-is-internal question

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: where-is-internal question
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:37:10 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>     In previous Emacs versions, I could do this, to bind stuff that
>     is bound to self-insert-command in the global map:
>
>      (dolist (key (where-is-internal 'self-insert-command global-map))
>        (define-key my-map key 'my-command))
>
>     Now, however, it looks like I need to do something like the
>     following.
>     (dolist (key (or (condition-case nil
>                          (where-is-internal 'self-insert-command
>                                             global-map nil nil t)
>                        (wrong-number-of-arguments nil))
>                      (where-is-internal 'self-insert-command
>                                         global-map)))
>       (define-key my-map key 'my-command))
>
> I forgot to mention that, whereas the above code is lightning-quick in Emacs
> 20 (without the 5th arg), in Emacs 22 it takes about 5 _seconds_ (on a
> pretty fast machine). Why so slow?

IIRC, the problem probably is that with command remapping,
where-is-internal in 22.x has to lookup the key binding for each
command to see if it remapped -- in the normal case (where a command
only has a few bindings), the penalty is neglible, but for
self-insert-command specifically, that will be time consuming.

The problem is that where-is-internal must return proper bindings for
commands that are remapped to, so there really don't see to be an easy
way to speed things up.