Re: Shall we use etc/images more?

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Shall we use etc/images more?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:47:58 -0700

Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     In MH-E, I think I'd like to reference images in etc/images/mail and,
>     say, etc/images/common, instead of lisp/mail and lisp/toolbar.
>
>     I only see gnus and smilies directories in there now. Is the intent to
>     someday move the images to etc/images? I recall Miles saying he thought
>     that Gnus was a good example to follow.
>
> I think it is a good idea.
>
>     If so, what do people think of me checking in copies of the images in
>     lisp/mail into etc/images/mail and the images in lisp/toolbar into
>     etc/images/common (or nominate your favorite). I'll update MH-E to
>     reference the new location (if necessary). When the others files have
>     been modified (if necessary) to reference the new location, then the
>     images in the old locations can be removed.
>
> What other references are there
> to the same images that you are moving?

Excellent question. The images can be referenced in various ways and I
do not know of a good way to find these places other than grep. I would
appreciate it if a knowledgeable volunteer can help me with this. Please
contact me directly if you think you could help.

It's possible that the images we use are not yet shared by others.

I'll try to send out a proposal by early next week with the list of
affected image files. For historical reasons, for which I need to remind
myself, the images are mostly in lisp/toolbar although at first blush it
seems they should be in lisp/mail. These will map to etc/images (per
Kim's request) and etc/images/mail respectively.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD