Re: Bindings on the mode-line

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: Bindings on the mode-line
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:05:34 +0900 (JST)

> Now that mouse-sensitive parts of the mode line look more like buttons, how
> about moving mode-line-toggle-read-only, mode-line-toggle-modified et al from
> mouse-3 to mouse-1?  This helps preserve the idiom of mouse-3 for context
> menus.

I support this proposal. Emacs doesn't have convention for the usage of
mouse-[1-3]. It is good time to define a convention like C-x for global
binding prefix and C-c for major mode prefix.

I hope mouse-3 is reserved for context menus.  In addition a key is
needed for popping up a context menu under point. The key may be
useful for heavy users who don't want to use mice. In xtla, C-j is
used for popping up a context menu in read-only buffers.

Masatake YAMATO