Re: Shall we use etc/images more?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Shall we use etc/images more?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:41:26 -0400

    My thinking was that all icons at the top level are general icons that
    could be used in any package. Icons that are only relevant to a single
    package (or "virtual" package as in "mail") should be in a sub-directory
    with the same name as that package. Thus, the directory serves not only
    to reduce clutter, but to make it easier for someone to find an icon by
    organizing them in groups rather than in a jumbled collection at the top
    level. Does this sound like a good reason to you?

A subdir with one file in it is nothing but clutter.
It does not help anything.

I'd rather have a file called images/mh-logo than a directory called
images/mh-e, if I have the choice of one or the other.

    >     In the long term, I think we should modify find-image to use the
    >     algorithm in mm-image-load-path instead of using just data-directory.
    >
    > I think we should not do either of these; instead, we should do
    > what you've suggested here.
    >
    >     Gnus adds etc/images/gnus to the load-path so that it can refer to the
    >     images directly like "exit-gnus" instead of "gnus/exit-gnus".

    By "here" I'm assuming that you think that the MH-E package should
    modify the load-path as Gnus does?

That's a misunderstanding.  I was not talking about the paragraph
starting "Gnus adds", I was talking about your suggestion to modify
find-image.  We should not modify load-path, and it should not search
for images through the subdirectories of etc/images.

Each place that refers to an image should specify the intended
subdirectory explicitly.