Re: autogen.sh question

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: autogen.sh question
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 01:29:25 +0300

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> > And why there is ./configure in cvs instead of just
> > ./configure.in?
>
> so that people checking out a source tree from cvs can use the
> ./configure script immediately, w/o having to install autoconf.

From my personal experience I have concluded that the odds to
successfully run `autogen.sh' for a person not involved in project
is very low and tends to zero as project size increases.  I think
it is important that `configure' is in CVS _especially_ for a
project with such a slow release cycle as Emacs has.  I always
use CVS Emacs and I'm very happy with not having to run some
specific version of Autoconf.

Paul