show-buffer-local-variables

From: Steve Yegge
Subject: show-buffer-local-variables
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 06:02:07 -0700

Hello Emacs developers,

I noticed this entry in emacs/etc/TODO:

** Add a command to make a local variables list in the current buffer
  and/or add a variable to the list.

I recently wrote a function that does the former, if I understand the
entry correctly.  It shows an apropos-style listing of the current
buffer's local variables.

I've cleaned up the function and included it in the attached file,
`show-buffer.el'.  If you think it may be a useful addition to
Emacs, I'd be happy to contribute it.  I'm also open to suggestions
for improving it.

On a related topic, I think `apropos.el' ought to be rewritten
with an eye towards reusability.  I've got several other packages
underway that provide apropos-like commands.  It would be nice to
reuse `apropos-print' to display the results, for a consistent
user experience.  But both `apropos' and `apropos-print' are rather
monolithic, so I'm forced to copy and paste a lot of the code.

I will gladly volunteer for refactoring `apropos.el', if you think
it would be worthwhile.

Cheers,

Steve Yegge
address@hidden