Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 18:56:12 -0500 (CDT)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   I want to ask you one question: could you confirm that all title
   lines produced by makeinfo have the same lengths with their
   succeeding underlines (i.e.  lines with characters `*', `=', `-'
   and `.')?  If so, then I think it is safe to fix that in a way of
   comparing their lengths before highlighting.

That is _still_ a very unreliable heuristic.  There is no reason why a
line followed by a line of equal length consisting of `*',`=',`-' or
`.' should be a title line.  These characters could, for instance, be
part of an ASCII picture surrounding text.  There are plenty of other
possibilities.  A line of these characters is *not* markup.

Why not get rid of such flawed heuristics and simply underline titles
the way they are underlined in the .info files, as the standalone Info
reader does?  This makes it also easier to see the nesting depth of
the node.  Why try to be tricky for no other reason than to be tricky?

I personally have the line:

(add-hook 'Info-mode-hook (lambda () (setq buffer-invisibility-spec nil)))

in my .emacs to get rid of all this abuse of the invisibility property in
info.el.

Sincerely,

Luc.