Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:46:39 +1000

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> But, does the current method have any problem that can't be
> fixed within po.el?

If you visit a po file from tar-mode or archive-mode (with "Ret", ie.
tar-extract or archive-extra), the coding system specified in the file
doesn't take effect.  Sometimes other guessing seems to get the right
answer, but eg. "tcvn" doesn't work from a tar where it does work from
a plain file.

(I hope I'm right that auto-coding-functions is the place to get a
coding system from file contents.)

(Incidentally, latexenc-find-file-coding-system looks like it might be
another candidate for this in the future, except for the way it goes
looking for a top-level file.)