Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:07:31 +0200

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On the subject of branding through, I am not quite sure what the best
> way to do that is. I like the Gnu-horns E on the notepad. I'm not sure
> that a notepad is the best metaphor for Emacs though, as it does so much
> more than just edit text. The branding should be strong though, and
> preferrably be done without having the text "Emacs" in the icon itself.
> If the icon should say anything, it should be "this is Emacs, a very
> powerful IDE and text processing solution", I think.

I agree. I like the looks of the notepad, but IMHO it resembles the icon
of notepad.exe on MS Windows to much. notepad.exe is no more than a
notepad, but Emacs is much more. But which metaphor is better?
Maybe this: Emacs is sometimes referred to as

   "The Swiss Army Knife of Editors"

since it has a tool for every need. But I don't know if it would do as
an icon.