Re: pxref

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pxref
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:27:33 +0200

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:42:49 -0400
>
> the correct way to do that is with `(@xref{args}.)'.
> That will also generate a period before the closeparen
> resulting in similar Info output.
>
> I don't think Emacs can distinguish one case from the other.

Thanks, now I understand the problem.

However, I think a cross-reference in parens which is a complete
sentence is a very rare situation.  I found only 45 such cases in all
the Emacs manuals (in man/, lispref/ and lispintro/), and only 11 in
the Texinfo manual.  Almost all of these look like a @pxref in
disguise, as the sentence in parens is very short, mostly just the
@xref itself.

So I think it is safe for us to hide the period in this case.