Re: Menu help text not shown when using keyboard

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Menu help text not shown when using keyboard
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:26:48 +0200

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:01:30 +0100
>
> >       /* No help echo on owner-draw menu items, or when the keyboard is used
> >      to navigate the menus, since tooltips are distracting if they pop
> >      up elsewhere.  */
> >       if (flags & MF_OWNERDRAW || flags & MF_POPUP
> >       || !(flags & MF_MOUSESELECT))
>
> That change was made in response to a bug report you made in July,
> complaining that tooltips pop up when the keyboard is used to navigate
> the menus:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-07/msg01197.html

Do I understand correctly that the bug fixed in July was due to the
fact that Emacs does not know the location of the dropped-down menu,
and so it pops the tooltip near the mouse pointer instead if near the
menu?

If so, we could do one of 2 things:

  1. Calculate the right position somehow.

  2. Show the help-echo message in the echo area.  (This is how many
     Windows GUI applications show menu-related tips.)