Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:05:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Christian Schlauer <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:15:52 +0200

>> > What do you mean by that?  I don't think the mouse pointer moves for
>> > me on w32 unless I move it myself.  Could it be a side effect of some
>> > customization, like using avoid.el?
>>
>> I started Emacs with `runemacs -q' now and did some ediffing: the
>> mouse pointer jumps to the little ediff frame, and after `q y', it
>> jumps back to where it was before.
>
> It jumps to the Ediff control frame when you start Ediff, but if you
> then move the mouse to some other place, it never jumps to that frame
> again;

I tried it again in 21.3 with `runemacs -q', and I moved the mouse
pointer off the ediff frame, pressed SPC to jump to the next
difference, and it jumped back to the ediff frame. It did this after
each SPC. I didn't know this. It seems that you don't see this
behaviour, if I understand you correctly. Why is this different for
you?

> you have to move it there yourself if you want, e.g., to go to the
> next hunk. At least that's how it behaves for me.
>
>> GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO
>
> I use the CVS version, not 21.3; perhaps something changed in the
> meantime.

I saw the same in a CVS version (about 1 week old, not compiled by me
and not started with `-q').

>> What about the other things I wrote in that message? Did I convince
>> you?
>
> No.

That's bad. ;-)

My arguments were

1. "the font locking explains what is meant",
2. "fragmented difference regions with
   tooltips-all-the-time-popping-up are annoying" and
3. "no special mouse functions that need to be explained".

Yours were

1. "they contain important information for users that don't use ediff
   regularly" and
2. "they don't obscure the text that one reads at the moment".

IMO, my argument 2 really suggests to get rid of tooltips.
--
Christian Schlauer