Re: add-log.el

From: Karl Chen
Subject: Re: add-log.el
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 06:16:08 -0700

    Miles> 2005/10/28, Karl Chen <address@hidden>:
    >> +(defcustom add-log-indent-text 0
    >> + "*How many spaces to indent subsequent lines in a change
    >>    entry."

    Miles> It doesn't seem correct to set this sort of parameter
    Miles> using defcustom -- the proper value depends on the
    Miles> _file_ not the user.

I don't disagree.  Defvar would be fine too.  It previously wasn't
documented.

However I would like to point out that this isn't any different
from other "style" parameters such as c-basic-offset,
python-indent, tab-width, etc., which are all customizable.  They
can also be file local variables or automatically inferred from
the file.

    Miles> What about making a derived-mode that derives from
    Miles> change-log-mode and overrides only that one parameter?

Not sure what you mean?  I don't have any problem with a setq in a
hook.  I actually don't use customize.  I just wanted to document
the variable.

--
Karl 2005-10-28 06:07