Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:39:34 +0000

Miles Bader, 30-Oct-05:

> I don't understand why a fairly specialized functionality (copying
> the rest of the current line) is bound to a key where it overrides
> one of the most commonly used functions ever.

Historical reasons.

Great - we have a chance to write history now :)

Is "copy rest of line as search for it" used by a lot of people?

If not, one could seize the opportunity and bind this function to something like C-S-y and bring C-y yank back.

As said, C-s C-h k C-y tells me that C-y is bound to yank, which I would consider a bug.