Re: thumbs directory

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs directory
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:55:53 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> What is the list of suggested features still missing?  Particularly,
> the list of what thumbs can do and tumme cannot?

This is the current todo for tumme and actually there are only two
things missing compared to thumbs.el (if we want/need them in the
first place) and those are marked below:

;; TODO
;; ====
;;
;; * Some sort of auto-rotate function based on rotate info in the
;; EXIF data.
;;
;; * Check if exiftool exist before trying to call it to give a better
;; error message.
;;
;; * Investigate if it is possible to also write the tags to the image
;; files.
;;

-----> Add an option for clean-up/max-size functionality for thumbnail
-----> directory.

-----> Add setroot function from thumbs.el

;; * Asynchronous creation of thumbnails.
;;
;; * Add `tumme-display-thumbs-ring' and functions to cycle that.  Find
;; out which is best, saving old batch just before inserting new, or
;; saving the current batch in the ring when inserting it.  Adding it
;; probably needs rewriting `tumme-display-thumbs' to be more general.
;;
;; * Find some way of toggling on and off really nice keybindings in
;; dired (for example, using C-n or <down> instead of C-S-n).
;;
;; * Enhanced gallery creation with basic CSS-support and pagination
;; of tag pages with many pictures.
;;
;; * Rewrite `tumme-modify-mark-on-thumb-original-file' to be less
;; ugly.
;;
;; * In some way keep track of buffers and windows and stuff so that
;; it works as the user expects.
;;
;; * More/better documentation

Btw, tumme 0.4.10, which is not released yet, has the changes
regarding central or per-directory thumbnail storage, as we discussed
earlier in this thread.

/Mathias