Re: (emacs)Help Echo

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: (emacs)Help Echo
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:55:26 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I am puzzled that the patch does not mention `help-at-pt-display-when-idle'.
   The patch seems to be about a totally different issue.
   (It might be correct; I don't know.)

That is because the diff has only three lines of context.  Here is
the paragraph that follows the one I propose to change:

       You can also access text region help info using the keyboard.  The
    command `C-h .' (`display-local-help') displays any help text
    associated with the text at point, using the echo area.  If you want
    help text to be displayed automatically whenever it is available at
    point, set the variable `help-at-pt-display-when-idle' to `t'.

The paragraph before that, which I propose to change, suggests that
emacs will show the help echo when you move point into the text,
regardless of the value of `help-at-pt-display-when-idle'.  That
definitely does not happen for me in `emacs -q -nbc'.

Sincerely,

Luc.