Re: Emacs hanging after M-w and C-k

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs hanging after M-w and C-k
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:05:37 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

If it get stuck in XSetSelectionOwner it is not feasible, as this is
a synchronous call in X.  Can you verify that it is there it is stuck?

Hmm.... OK it turns out that it's a problem due to my own local hacks (see
the patch below).  So in a vanilla Emacs, the way to reproduce a similar
problem is to do C-y when another app has the selection and is frozen.
But unless we add a timeout, there is little we can do about it in the case
of C-y.  In the case of the patch below, I'd want to run
interprogram-paste-function asynchronously, but it's not clear how to do.
That's too bad: I was planning to submit the patch below for inclusion.

For C-y there is x-selection-timeout (default seems to be 20000, 20 seconds). Does that not work for you? Actually, it seems to timeout somewhat later than the actual value, i.e. if I set it to 1000 (1 second) the timeout occurs at about 2 seconds.

   Jan D.