Re: Setting cursor-type does not trigger redisplay of cursor

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Setting cursor-type does not trigger redisplay of cursor
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:59:33 +0200

> I looked at the bug, and the reason why it works for right-left and
> down movement, but not for up movement (sometimes) is the call to
> sit-for in line-move

Please also note that cursor updating doesn't work not only for
up-down movement, but also in other cases like switching buffers.

Here is one test case:

`M-x cua-mode RET'
`M-: (setq cua-enable-cursor-indications t) RET'

Initially the cursor is black in the *scratch* buffer.

Type <insert> - cursor is yellow in the *scratch* buffer (GOOD)

`C-h i' - cursor is green in the *Info* buffer (GOOD)

`q' - cursor remains green in the *scratch* buffer (WRONG)

`C-l' - cursor is updated to yellow in the *scratch* buffer

`M-: (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Help*") RET'

Now with the yellow cursor in the *scratch* buffer (due to <insert>):

`C-h f car RET' - cursor is yellow in the *Help* buffer (WRONG)

`C-l' - cursor is updated to green in the *Help* buffer

> The simple "fix" is to explicitly call force-window-update when
> changing the cursor type in the post-command-hook.  IMO, that
> work-around is ok for 22.1

This fix works for up-down movements, but after cursor movements, the
delay before the cursor changes its shape on the new location is
too noticeable.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/