Re: Start value in minibuffer [Was: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Start value in minibuffer [Was: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.]
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:45:40 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

It has been decided that the INITIAL-VALUE parameter to minibuffer-input
functions is more or less deprecated, in favor of the DEF (default-value)
parameter alone. The UI model chosen is not to burden the user with a start
value already in the minibuffer, but rather to let him use M-n to pull the
default value into the minibuffer (to serve as start value), if he wants it.

I don't like that decision, personally, but that's the way it is. I like
I do not like that decision either. GUI applications at least on w32 use to select a field when you enter it. Maybe there is a chance to rethink this decision after the release. Could such things be put in the TODO list?