Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 04:08:44 +0900

2005/11/16, Sascha Wilde <address@hidden>:
> This is about a inconsistency in emacs which should be fixed.  calc is
> part of GNU emacs and it uses and documents M-# as a global binding,
> while gnus -- part of gnu emacs, too -- binds it locally.  Of cause I
> can use a custom binding for calc as Jay suggested (and in fact, it's
> what I'm doing for now), but I think the TRTTD would be to change
> either binding.  Global default bindings in emacs should be global.

Both bindings are really old, and are quite commonly used; changing
either one may cause more harm (read: piss off more people) than good.
 It's hardly a tragedy to have to use "M-x calc" when in a gnus
summary buffer.

However, I think if one _must_ be changed, it should be calc, becuase
calc until now has always been an extra add-on to Emacs, and for that
reason probably used by many fewer people than gnus (which has been a
part of emacs for a long time).  Morever, if I recall correctly,
historically the M-# binding for calc has been more of a "suggestion"
than anything else (I seem to remember that the calc installation
instructions told the user to bind it himself).

[Disclaimer:  I always use M-x calc anyway, I don't care much about
M-# for calc...]

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.