Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:06:48 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> As for `C-h d', it might be useful to reserve it for other Help keys.

IMO, apropos-documentation is often more useful than apropos-command
currently on C-h a, and for a novice user, it makes little sense to
restrict the search to just the command name.

Perhaps we could put apropos-documenation on C-h a.

That said, I also think that it would be very useful if C-h C-a was a
prefix for the various apropos commands.

> For example, I think that `describe-char' which is currently on `C-u
> C-x =' is a typical Help command like other `describe-...' commands
> (`describe-key', `describe-function', `describe-mode', ...).  I think
> it needs a key binding on the `C-h' keymap and also to be mentioned in
> `help-for-help-internal' and in the Help menu.

We have both C-h k and C-h c to describe key bindings (full and short
story), so perhaps the C-h c binding could be used for "describe char
at point".