RE: Help buffer key bindings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Help buffer key bindings
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:28:35 -0800

    > That's a shame, for X11, BTW (and it seems weird to me -
    > takes away two mouse buttons, just so you can use the
    > wheel?). I guess that means the same
    > happens for Web browsers in X11 environments - can't use
    > mouse-4 for Back and mouse-5 for Forward?

    Mouse-wheel scroll events are just events from the mouse like any
    other, so it certainly makes sense to call them "mouse-4" and
    "mouse-5" (the mouse itself doesn't use names, so it's up to
    higher-layers to know what a particular event means, and give them
    more meaningful names).  If you have more mouse buttons they are
    likely called mouse-6, mouse-7, ...

Uh, I'm no expert on this, but on Windows, at least, `mouse-4' and `mouse-5'
in Emacs are the 4th and 5th mouse buttons, respectively. And the wheel
works as, well, a wheel (and as `mouse-2', if you push it instead of roll
it).

I do only this to bind the 4th and 5th mouse buttons to Back and Forward:

  (define-key Info-mode-map [mouse-4] 'Info-history-back)
  (define-key Info-mode-map [mouse-5] 'Info-history-forward)

Works like a charm for Windows. As I said, if that's not the case for X11,
that's a pity, but not a reason to not make this binding for other
platforms. And, as I said, mwheel.el already contains platform-dependent
code.