removing flickering in emacs

From: Michal Maruška
Subject: removing flickering in emacs
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:34:31 +0100

Hello,
I have written a patch for CVS emacs as a proof-of-concept for my method of
removing flickering caused by using background (pixel or pixmap) of windows in
X11, flickering which happens on Exposure, and on resizing.

The method is described at

   http://maruska.dyndns.org/wiki/anti-flicker-method

I don't know Xt, so I limit myself to xlib, and I tested the patch with
./configure  --with-x-toolkit=no --without-gtk  (--with-png --with-jpeg
--without-xim)

I would appreciate comments from people who know the display code.

The patch itself is:
http://maruska.dyndns.org/comp/packages/cvs-emacs-flicker-free.patch

thank you.