Re: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Problem with revert-buffer and overlays
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:00:51 -0500

    Why not do this in kill-all-local-variables then?

The reason to get rid of the overlays after revert is because they
cannot reliably point to the right place any more.

Changing the major mode should not delete the overlays--that would be
incorrect.  (Some might be used by minor modes or other features.)
Instead, the major mode should explicitly delete the overlays that it
uses.

    Deactivating the mark would have to be done by insert-file-contents if
    it finds out that the mark has been invalidated during reversion.  I'd
    leave this alone until someone complains.

I just tried it and revert-buffer did deactivate the mark.
Can someone describe a test case where it fails to do so?