Re: Mode_switch in Emacs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Mode_switch in Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:08:36 +0200

>> As I can see, everything works fine in CVS Emacs already.  The Mode_switch
>> key temporarily disables the russian layout while it is held in Emacs.
>> Perhaps something is wrong in Paul's configuration where Mode_switch
>> doesn't work correctly.
>
> Does that hold for XIM russian layout or for LEIM russian layout or
> for both?

For XIM russian layout.  If the LEIM russian input method is enabled
in Emacs, I think it is too much to ask Emacs to temporarily disable
the input method while Mode_switch is held.  As I understand even
XEmacs doesn't try to do this.

I see no reason to activate both XIM russian layout and LEIM russian
input method in Emacs.  But using them separately, to disable the russian
layout in each of them is easy.  With XIM russian layout, this can be
done with Mode_switch configured with `setxkbmap -option grp:switch'.
With LEIM, C-q does the job.

>>> +** When using a russian+latin layout with
>>> +
>>> +   setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us,ru -variant ,winkeys
>>> +
>>> +pressing the W key while control is held generates a С-Ц rather than C-W.
>
>> This is not a bug, but quite a useless feature.  It enables only
>> a small subset of standard Emacs keybindings in the russian layout.
>
> The way I understand the situation it is a bug because the above setting
> exlpicitly asks for it not to happen.

It doesn't specify what to do with key combinations.  It is up to the
application to translate raw key combinations to something else.

> If you want to get С-Ц rather than C-W than you'd use a different
> config.  In any case if it's a feature, it should be possible to
> turn it off since in such a situation it can be a really
> annoying feature.

Somewhere С-ц may be preferable to C-w, but at least in Emacs I think
interpreting С-ц as C-w is more natural.  However, this is still not
very useful in Emacs because it will enable only key sequences with
control/meta modifiers, but not with raw letters.  I.e. what good is
to process С-ц as C-w, if `C-x b' will produce useless `C-x и'?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/