Re: Slow Info startup

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Slow Info startup
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 04:48:47 +0200

> The change was to correctly fontify Info buffers opened with
> Info-on-current-buffer.  If we are willing to sacrifice a little
> correctness, there is one change that can speed things up.  See the
> attached patch.

It seems this patch just reverts your changes in that part.

> The side-effect of this is that Info will fontify incorrectly in one
> corner case.  This happens when you call Info-on-current-buffer on
> a file named (e.g.) "elisp" outside of Info-directory list, or
> a non-file buffer named "elisp".  When you browse around, your Info
> history will be recorded as though you are visiting the real "elisp"
> info file, at /usr/share/info/elisp or wherever.  If you later visit
> the "real" info file, those links will be fontified as "previously
> visited" links.  Maybe that's an acceptable situation, however.

I think this is not a big issue.  Another case where it might not
fontify correctly is when the user changes Info-directory-list so
xrefs to the manuals with the same name are fontified as xrefs to
the same manual.  OTOH, with the old code in info.el, the user could
move the same manual to another directory in Info-directory-list and
still be able to see xrefs to the moved manual fontified correctly.

So the old "manual-name-based" code (instead of the new "file-name-based")
is not absolutely incorrect, and is much faster.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/