Re: Info bug with @xref{Sample .emacs File, , , ccmode, the CC Mode Manu

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Info bug with @xref{Sample .emacs File, , , ccmode, the CC Mode Manual}.
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:58:44 +0000 (UTC)

   ... We've had a node called "Sample .emacs File" in the CC Mode
   manual since 22nd February 1995 ...

And possibly Info searched for that node as "Sample" ...  That is the
only node in that manual that starts with the word "Sample".

The Texinfo manual has included a warning about the characters that a
node name may contain since at least 1987 and probably earlier.  I
don't remember dot specifically, but I do remember thinking that the
rule was to use characters that are not in regexps.

In any event, the customary solution is to name the node and the title
differently.  As is said in  (texinfo)Node Line Tips , `try to pick
node names that are informative but short'.  The node name might be
`Sample' and the chapter or section title `Sample @code{.emacs} File'.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8