Re: defcustom :type to use for a key sequence?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: defcustom :type to use for a key sequence?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:58:52 -0500

    Well, it steals the binding which allowed you to enter arbitrary
    numeric values, but I don't see the purpose of that! Why would anyone
    want to create a binding for a key they cannot type?

For use on a different terminal, perhaps.  If you log in from
different terminals and use the same .emacs file, you might want
to do this.

So it is not such an unreasonable thing to do.

However, I don't see why you can't put back the numeric input feature.
After all, people don't need C-q to insert a self-inserting key
in this field, any more than they need C-q to insert such characters
in any buffer.

With that change, your C-q replacement would have no disadvantages and
might as well be installed.  But it does have a drawback as a solution
to this problem: it isn't self-evident.  It would be something you
just have to know.  That is not ideal.

That is why I suggested adding a button meaning "type a key sequence".
A button would be self-evident, and would not get in the way of any
other commands.

Want to do that, too?