Re: Problems with ispell/flyspell

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: Problems with ispell/flyspell
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:00:12 +0100

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:11:54PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> - when I start flyspell-mode, I tend to get an error of the form:
>
>    "Error: no word lists can be found for the language fr_CH"

My first impression is that you are using aspell and fr_CH locale
and did not explicitely select any dict (and have no aspell
fr_CH dict available). What happens if you explicitely select
a dict by means of ispell-change-dictionary?

> - later on, while using flyspell, I get errors of the form
>   "wrong-argument-type, string, nil" because
>   in ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries, (assoc "en" ispell-dictionary-alist)
>   has returned nil, which caused ispell-dictionary-alist to have an entry of
>   the form (nil), so when ispell-current-dictionary is nil,
>   (ispell-get-decoded-string 1) returns nil, so ispell-get-casechars returns
>   nil, so flyspell-get-casechars returns nil, so flyspell-get-word
>   does a (looking-at nil) which signals an error.

and also have no aspell english dict installed. Probably a reasonable
fallback should be added for default in case an english dict is not
available. Does the problem persist if you have an aspell english dict
installed?

> This is on a machine where I have both ispell and aspell installed
> (as I just discovered), in case it matters.

Which one is the surprise? Note that for emacs-cvs ispell.el, if aspell
is installed it is the default, even if it has no dictionaries available
for the desired language. You will need to explicitely set
ispell-program-name to ispell if you want it.

Hope this helps

--
Agustin