RE: lisp-complete-symbol

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: lisp-complete-symbol
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:28:21 -0800

    How 'bout the patch below instead which simply hides the *Completions*
    buffer after a successful completion.

    +               (let ((win (get-buffer-window "*Completions*" 0)))
    +                 (if win (with-selected-window win (bury-buffer)))))

"simply hides"? That depends.

Here we go again. We get into the same problems we (some of those who use
`pop-up-frames'=t) have had elsewhere - debugger, View mode, Customize,...
In each case, `bury-buffer' was added, I filed a bug report (or we discussed
it here, in the case of View mode), and `bury-buffer' was eventually
replaced with `quit-window' or something that had +/- the same effect as
`quit-window' - or by an option, letting people choose the quitting effect
they want.

Can this at least be an option? If not, if we must choose, then I vote for
`quit-window', not `bury-buffer'. I do _not_ want either 1) another buffer
taking the place of *Completions* in its (one-window) frame or 2) the
*Completions* frame flashing across my display to become an icon (the effect
iconification gives on Windows). I have no need for a *Completions*-frame
icon (who does?); I just want to delete the frame when I'm done with it -
bye bye. We've been through this discussion before. Can we please make this
work adequately for everyone?