RE: current-column and invisible text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: current-column and invisible text
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:39:38 -0800

        The invisible text does not count in the calculation of
        `current-column' -
        that makes sense. But I wonder about the `before-string'
        text. It seems that
        regardless of its length, it counts as a single column. Is
        this normal? If
        so, what is the rationale for this?

    I think that is a bug.  I see two possible meaningful ways to handle
    an overlay before-string: either ignore it, or count its contents.
    The latter seems more correct.

    Would someone like to look at this bug, and ack?

If I understand you, I agree: visible columns should be counted; invisible
text (columns) should not be counted.