Re: Starnge comment in Custom Theme code.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Starnge comment in Custom Theme code.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:32:13 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   > The "we" refers to a discussion several months ago on Emacs devel.  I
   > believe to remember that Richard then decided that themes should not
   > override a non-Custom set value.

   I can't find where this is discussed, if you mean the thread at

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-06/msg01062.html

I referred to the following, which Richard wrote when we discussed
Custom Themes many months ago:

    As for settings with setq, those should make the variable a rogue, as
    now.  When the variable is a rogue, theme operations should not touch
    it.

See: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-07/msg00757.html

But what _really_ matters is that we decided a few days ago to
consider Custom Themes (except for the user theme) as alternative
"standard" values.  Together with the fact that later loaded themes
override earlier themes and the standard theme is loaded first, this
unambiguously settles all conflict resolutions in a staightforward
way.  `setq' overrides the regular default even if the defcustom is
later reevaluated, so it should override non-user themes, even if they
are loaded after the setq.

Sincerely,

Luc.