Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:15:08 +0200

> From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:55:21 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I think it is related to the issue I raised under topic `wish: right alt/meta
> to switch keyboard layout while pressed'.  I.e. right Alt acts as a temporary
> layout switcher and so it does not look as Alt to applications.

Sorry, I'm not following: are you talking about keyboard language
switch invoked on MS-Windows with the Alt-SPC combination?  If so,
then the keyboard switch works for me as I'd expect (i.e., the same as
it does in other Windows applications), and it doesn't affect the
right Alt to META mapping in any way.

> I strongly believe Emacs must not do anything about it.  Quite the opposite:
> it should properly handle Mode_switch on GNU/Linux etc. with X, so that it
> disables LEIM layout while it pressed.

Are we still talking about the MS-Windows port of Emacs?  Or are we
talking about Emacs on GNU/Linux?  The OP raised the issue for
Windows.

> If Windows lacks a way to disable this feature and make right Alt
> work the same way as left Alt, it's a problem of Windows, not of
> Emacs.

As I said, right and left Alt keys work the same for me on MS-Windows.