Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 00:04:01 -0500

Thanks for writing that optimization.  I figured some such simple fix
would be possible.  Please install your fix.

What my experience has taught me is that cases of anomalous gross
slowness often have a simple fix.  Thus, before taking up the
difficult question of whether major surgery is justified, it's a good
idea to look for a fix like this one which does the job with a band-aid.

(Yi-dong found a different way to apply a band-aid, but it assumes
that the file was visited in Image mode, so it doesn't solve the whole
problem.  This change does, I think.)